Growing up in Southeast Louisiana I was surrounded by people knocking on wood, throwing salt over their shoulder, warning of seven years bad luck for breaking a mirror, not letting a black cat cross your path, or threatening to put a Gris Gris (pronounced GREE GREE) on you if you didn’t do what you were told. I can not make this stuff up… superstitious much?
Did you know that women are more prone to the paranoia of superstition? Now that I have kids of my own, it is quite fun to scare them or tell them old wives tales to put them on edge. Horrible Mother here, I know… don’t judge.
Rather than gradually being disproved over time, our faith in superstitious beliefs is stronger than ever.
Here’s the top 10 Superstitions people believe on a regular old Friday like today…
– Avoided walking under a ladder
– Touched/knocked on wood
– Blessed someone when they’ve sneezed
– Crossed your fingers
– Picked up a penny
– Broken the wishbone and made a wish
– Thrown salt over your shoulder because you spilled it
– Avoided opening an umbrella inside
– Avoided putting new shoes on the table
– Avoided telling anyone your birthday wish when blowing out your candles
Happy Friday the 13th! 🔪🔪🔪